Gunung Rapat is renowned as the most well-known limestone hill in the Kinta Valley due to its towering vertical walls and impressive features. Over hundreds of millions of years, the flowing water has carved out serene rock chambers that now serve as an oasis for meditation and prayer.
Among the approximately thirty cave temples located in Ipoh, four of the most distinguished are situated here, ranging from the grandeur of Sam Poh Tong to the peacefulness of Kek Lok Tong’s zen gardens.
For those seeking a more unique experience, a stroll through a cave tunnel away from the usual path leads to Tasik Cermin, a crystal-clear lake that reflects like a mirror, concealed within the hill’s walls.
Apart from the magnificent limestone hill and cave temples, Gunung Rapat also offers several other attractions.
One of the most popular activities in the area is hiking. The hill has several trails that are suitable for hikers of all levels. The trails offer stunning views of the surrounding valley, and hikers can also explore the flora and fauna of the hill.
For those interested in history, Gunung Rapat is home to the Kellie’s Castle. The castle was built by a Scottish planter named William Kellie Smith in the early 20th century. The castle is an excellent example of Moorish and Indian architecture and is believed to be haunted.
Another popular attraction in the area is the Gunung Lang Recreational Park. The park is located near the foot of Gunung Rapat and is a popular spot for picnics and family outings. The park features a man-made lake, a watchtower, and a canopy walkway that offers stunning views of the surrounding area.
Finally, Gunung Rapat is also known for its delicious food. There are several restaurants in the area that serve local delicacies such as chicken rice, bean sprouts chicken, and salt-baked chicken. Visitors can also try out the famous Ipoh white coffee, which is known for its unique taste.
Cave Temples around here:
Where to eat
There are several famous restaurants around Gunung Rapat that serve local delicacies. Here are some of the most well-known ones:
- Restaurant Onn Kee (also known as Tauge Ayam Onn Kee) – This restaurant is famous for its bean sprouts chicken, a dish that is synonymous with Ipoh. The restaurant serves tender, juicy chicken alongside crunchy, fresh bean sprouts, and flavorful rice.
- Lou Wong Bean Sprouts Chicken – Another popular restaurant that serves bean sprouts chicken. This restaurant is known for its savory, soy sauce-based gravy that is poured over the chicken and rice.
- Ayam Tauke (Salt-Baked Chicken) – This restaurant is known for its salt-baked chicken, a dish that is made by marinating the chicken in a special blend of herbs and spices before baking it in a bed of salt. The result is a juicy, flavorful chicken that is tender and delicious.
- Nam Heong White Coffee – This cafe is famous for its Ipoh white coffee, which is made using a unique roasting and brewing process that gives it a distinct flavor. The cafe also serves a variety of local snacks and desserts.
- Restoran New Hollywood – This restaurant is known for its delicious dim sum, which is served in the morning and early afternoon. The restaurant also serves a variety of Cantonese-style dishes for lunch and dinner.
- Restoran Sun Lee How Fook – This restaurant serves a variety of Chinese-style dishes, including claypot rice, fried rice, and seafood. They also have a selection of dim sum and traditional Cantonese desserts.
- Restoran Yoon Kee – This restaurant is known for its delicious roasted pork and char siew (barbecued pork). They also serve a variety of other Chinese-style dishes, including noodles, rice, and vegetable dishes.
- Restoran Big Tree Foot (Dai Shu Geok) – This restaurant is famous for its ‘liew’ or ‘yong liew’, which are assorted deep-fried snacks made with fish paste, such as fish balls, fish cakes, and tofu stuffed with fish paste. They also serve other dishes, such as fried rice and noodles.
- Restoran Kong Heng – This restaurant is located in Old Town Ipoh, just a short drive from Gunung Rapat. It serves a variety of local dishes, including Ipoh-style curry noodles, chee cheong fun (rice noodle rolls), and nasi lemak (coconut rice). They also have a bakery that sells traditional pastries and cakes.
- Restoran Ipoh Hainan Chicken Rice – This restaurant serves a variety of chicken rice dishes, including the famous Ipoh-style chicken rice. They also have a selection of other dishes, such as roasted pork and vegetables.
These are just a few of the many famous restaurants in the area. There are plenty of other eateries around Gunung Rapat that serve delicious local cuisine, so visitors are sure to find something that suits their tastes.
Halal food around ipoh
There are also many halal food options around Gunung Rapat and Ipoh. Here are a few examples:
- Nasi Ganja Ipoh – This restaurant is known for its famous “Nasi Ganja” or “Ganja Rice”, which is a spicy, flavorful rice dish served with a variety of curries and side dishes. The restaurant is halal-certified and is a popular spot for both locals and visitors.
- Restoran Jamal Mohamed – This restaurant serves a variety of Indian and Malay-style dishes, including nasi kandar (rice with a variety of curries), roti canai (flatbread with curry), and tandoori chicken. They also have a selection of desserts and drinks.
- Restoran Nasi Vanggey – This restaurant is famous for its nasi kandar, which is served with a variety of curries and side dishes. They also serve other Malay-style dishes, such as mee goreng (fried noodles) and ayam goreng (fried chicken).
- Restoran Yong Suan – This restaurant serves a variety of Chinese-style dishes, including seafood, noodle dishes, and vegetable dishes. They are halal-certified and have separate kitchen areas for preparing halal food.
- Restoran Dapur Sarawak – This restaurant serves a variety of Sarawakian-style dishes, such as laksa Sarawak (a spicy noodle soup), kolo mee (a type of noodle dish), and nasi aruk (a rice dish with meat and vegetables). They are halal-certified and use halal ingredients in all their dishes.
These are just a few examples of the many halal food options available in the area. Visitors are sure to find plenty of delicious and halal-certified food options to choose from!